Showing posts from September, 2013

Nginx error 413: Request entity too large Quick Fix

A quick article today about a common error people encounter with Nginx: the infamous 413 Request Entity Too Large HTTP error. I had the problem myself just yesterday on one of my newly configured servers, so I thought I'd make a blog post about it to make sure I don't forget this next time. Error 413: what does it mean? This error shows up when a visitor sends too much data in the HTTP request. This is normally caused by: • an overy large file being uploaded by the visitor • more generally too much POST data being sent by the client The fix is as simple as setting a directive in your Nginx configuration, read on below. How to fix it? client_max_body_size To fix this, you need to increase the value of the client_max_body_size directive. This directive defines the maximum amount of data Nginx will accept in an HTTP request. By default this value is set to 1 megabyte, meaning if you attempt to upload a file larger than 1 megabyte you'll be getting an  Error

Top 5 fixes for: Excel 2013 has stopped working - also works for Word, Powerpoint, Outlook...

Recently I've started encountering a particularly annoying problem with Office 2013. Every time I'd open Excel 2013 under Windows 8, it would crash instantly, leaving me a message: " Excel 2013 has stopped working ". I looked around and found a few solutions, but nothing worked for me. Eventually, I managed to fix the problem all by myself. I'm going to describe the steps that I've tried here. Note that this post is also valid for messages such as: Word 2013 has stopped working Powerpoint 2013 has stopped working Excel 2013 has stopped working Outlook 2013 has stopped working Office 2013 has stopped working (insert any other Office tool here). Most of these solutions are also valid for Office 2007 and Office 2010 applications . Solution 1: change the default printer This solution fixed all my problems, so I'm going to describe it first. Also it's the simplest! Try this first before anything else, because the next solutions are a bit more

Access a DBISAM database with PHP via ODBC

Recently I've been needing to access a DBISAM database created by third-party application, in order to export some of its data. Initially, I didn't even know what format the database was; I'd just found a bunch of files with the following extensions: .dat , .idx , .blb , .ibk , .bbk , and more. After a quick Google search, I stumbled upon a few pages that led me to DBISAM from Elevate Software . It's a proprietary database format that doesn't require a server application, somewhat similar to SQLite. Accessing the database from PHP was quite complex because I didn't have a proper reference or blog article to detail the process. That's exactly why I'm writing this: to give people directions on a subject that's hardly documented at all. In this tutorial, you'll learn how to access the database via PHP, execute a simple SQL query, and display the result. ODBC driver and connection I almost forgot: there's a catch-- even two, and here&#