The service tag can be found in at least three locations:
- on a label physically stuck on the item (see above picture, the back of a laptop)
- in the BIOS or menus
- on the cardboard box when you receive the item
- The first line ($DELL_URL...) sets the path of Dell's web service, AssetService
- The second line (new SoapClient...) creates a new SoapClient object specifying the WSDL URL and the option to use the SOA Protocol v1.2
- The third line ($tag...) specifies the service tag of the item you want to retrieve information about
- The last line ($response...) performs the actual request to the web service. You'll note that we're passing a dummy GUID, and the "applicationName" is arbitrarily set to "AssetService". I don't think it these two parameters make any difference.